Milford Discovery Centre & Underwater Observatory - Queenstown
Accessible only by boat, the Milford Discovery Centre experience can be included in any of Southern Discoveries' cruises, except the last cruise of the day.
The perfect addition to your Milford Sound cruise... Interactive and educational, learn about the history, geology and wildlife of Milford Sound before descending 10 metres underwater to explore the world of exotic sea creatures and rare black coral.
The Milford Discovery Centre & Underwater Observatory is the only structure of its kind in the Piopiotahi Marine Reserve and is a rich, captivating experience, both above and below the surface of the fiord.
Descend 64 steps underwater into a large, fully air conditioned viewing area where large windows with excellent optical clarity open your eyes to this deep underwater haven. Unlike an aquarium, the fish are free to come and go; it's the people who are contained.
Why visit the Milford Discovery Centre?
- New Zealand's only floating underwater observatory is a unique, interactive learning experience
- Be guided through the Milford Sound story on colourful information panels covering culture, heritage, history, geology and wildlife
- Watch dramatic Milford Road and Homer Tunnel avalanche videos
- Immerse yourself in a mysterious undersea world and encounter the extraordinary rare black coral and colourful sea creatures teeming just below the surface
- Thanks to its unique underwater environment, Milford Sound is home to species of black coral usually found at depths of more than 500 metres
Pricing: Adult $36, Child $18 - add on to any Southern Discoveries Cruise.
Please visit Southern Discoveries or call 0800 264 536 (NZ only) for bookings and latest price information.